Contact: Dawn Fizer and Carolyn Maddox
Phone Number: 205.996.2978 or 205.934.7975
Location: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
Start/End Dates: June 7, 2021 – July 16, 2021
Academic Credit: No
The Summer Health Professions Education Program is a partnership between the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Medicine (SOM), School of Dentistry (SOD), School of Optometry (SOO), and School of Health Professions (SHP), home to the Physician Assistant program. The program goal is to increase diversity in health professions by recruiting and preparing underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students for successful educational experiences and careers in health care. Scholars will be offered multiple components:
1) Academic enrichment in multiple disciplines (Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Statistics).
2) Didactic instruction on heath science topics, Scientific Writing, and Critical Reasoning.
3) Seminars on alternate health care opportunities and specialties.
4) Lectures on health disparities and determinants of health.
5) Career development activities with one-on-one sessions and mock interviews.
6) Workshops on study skills, life skills, time management skills, and financial literacy.
7) Leadership development exercises and team-building skills. In addition, the rich history of Birmingham will be leveraged to highlight the importance of diversity and inclusion.
Clinical Experience: The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is collaborating with the UAB eMedicine team (https://www.uabmedicine.org/patient-care/emedicine) to provide Telehealth Shadowing. In this virtual setting you will observe a real-time clinical encounter, after which you will be able to debrief with the physician. To prepare you for this opportunity, we will provide the Kaplan iHuman simulation interactive program (https://www.i-human.com/), in addition to scheduled and self-guided weekly preceptorship pairings with other scholars and Professional Student Mentors. Telehealth Shadowing is an exciting addition to our program!! Telehealth is currently an important health care modality and will be a crucial component of patient care in the future. Through the UAB Office of Standardized Patient Education, you will be able to practice your newly acquired clinical skills when you independently interview a standardized patient in a Telehealth encounter. Further, you will receive feedback from your patient to help you improve your skills! In collaboration with UAB’s Office for Interprofessional Simulation (OIPS) you will simulate (i) living in poverty, and (ii) navigate life with opioid addiction, Each activity will be followed by a debriefing session to discuss your experiences. You will practice your clinical skills! Scholars will participate in pseudo-suturing using a take-home tool guided by livestream video instruction from our Faculty. We will also provide virtual CPR training.
Meals: Students will receive a meal subsidy.
Stipend: Stipends of $600 per student will be disbursed in two $300 installments at the completion of weeks 2 and 6.
Social Activities: Virtual social and extracurricular activities are planned throughout the program. These will be both self-guided and under instruction with your assigned Professional Student Mentor(s) and with your UAB SHPEP Team Members.