Contact: Andrea Clarke
Phone Number: Email only at this time
Location: Howard University Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Washington, DC
Start/End Dates: June 5, 2022- July 16, 2022
Academic Credit: No
SHPEP at Howard University is committed to providing an outstanding academically enriched program that is intended to contribute to a culture of health and promote diversity in health care by strengthening the academic proﬁciency and team-based care approach of underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students interested in pursuing careers in the health sciences. Howard offers the dental, medical, nursing, and pharmacy pathways.
SHPEP scholars will experience the following during the six-week program at Howard University:
- Academic enrichment in basic science courses i.e.; General Chemistry, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics (a session in mathematics), and Anatomy & Physiology. Course assignment is based on transcript and health profession track. Additional courses for all health profession tracks include Healthcare Ethics and Disparities/Health Policy; Cultural Competency; Introduction to Interprofesfessional Practice and Education (IPE); and Health & Wellness Seminars.
- Professional Attire and Professionalism
- Introduction to Interprofessional Collaborative Core Competencies
- IPE Team-Based Simulation Center Rotations, and IPE Standardized Patient Clinical Rotations.
- Weekly town hall meetings
- “Careers in Health Professions Seminar”, where faculty members from the disciplines of Dentistry, Nursing and Allied Health, Pharmacy and Medicine will present and meet with scholars
- Student Alumni & Professional Student Panels
- Virtual Clinical rotations based on health professions track
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Training (HIPAA Training)
- Professionalism Workshops
- Wellness Seminars
- Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)
- US Army Recruitment Center
- Recruiters from local health professions schools
- Virtual National Institutes of Health Site Visit
- Will B. Deal SHPEP Financial Literacy and Planning Workshop
- Impact of Civil Rights Laws and Health Care Disparities
This program will be implemented as a six-week virtual experience
Clinical Experience: Multiple state of the art simulation center and virtual clinical shadowing opportunities relevant to Interprofessional Practice and Education (IPE) - team based health care delivery.
Stipend: Scholars will receive $600.00 to be paid between second and third week of the program.
Meals: Students will receive a meal subsidy.