Contact: Lori B. Fenner
Phone Number: (202) 806-0366
Location: Howard University Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Washington, DC
Start/End Dates: June 3-July 14, 2018
Academic Credit: No
SHPEP at Howard University is committed to providing an outstanding academically enriched program that is intended to contribute to a culture of health and promote diversity in health care by strengthening the academic proficiency and team based care approach of underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students interested in pursuing careers in the health sciences. Howard offers the medical, dental, nursing, and pharmacy pathways.
SHPEP scholars will experience the following during their dedicated academically intense six-week experience at Howard University:
- Academic enrichment in basic science courses i.e.; General Chemistry, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy and Physiology (transcript and health professions track dependent). Additional courses for all health profession tracks include Healthcare Ethics and Disparities/Health Policy, Communications (Reading and Writing) and a session in Mathematics.
- IPE Course: “Introduction to Interprofessional Practice & Education”
- IPE Activities: IPE Day Workshop and Discussions, IPE Team Based Simulation Center Rotations and IPE Clinical Rotations, Clinical Simulation Lab, and William Montague Cobb Research Group
- Weekly town hall meetings
- “Careers in Health Professions Seminar”, where faculty members from the disciplines of Dentistry, Nursing and Allied Health, Pharmacy and Medicine will present and meet with scholars.
- Clinical rotations based on health professions track.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Training (HIPAA Training)
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS)
- US Army Recruitment Center
- Recruiters from local health professions schools
- National Institute of Health Site Visit
- Will Deal Financial Planning and Education
- Impact of Civil Rights Laws on Health Care Disparities
Clinical Experience: Multiple state of the art simulation center and clinical shadowing opportunities relevant to Interprofessional Practice and Education (IPE) - team based health care delivery.
Meals: Meal tickets for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week at Howard University Hospital Cafeteria.
Travel Assistance: Howard University will provide ground transportation assistance for those scholars within its region. For those scholars outside the region, travel assistance will be provided for economy bus/flight/rail service and ground transportation to and from station(s).
Stipend: Scholars will receive $600.00 to be paid in two installments in the second and six week.
Housing: Howard University Dormitories – Air Conditioned doubles or triple rooms.
Health Insurance: Scholars must provide their own insurance, however, assistance will be offered by Howard SHPEP for those who cannot provide it.
Social Activities: Various social and cultural activities in the Washington, D.C. area for example; the National Mall, Smithsonian Museums and the local Caribbean and Annual Folk Life festivals, National Institute of Health (NIH) and much more. Additional activities include but are not limited to Dinner Theatre or Lunch Cruise.