Contact: Lori B. Fenner
Phone Number: (202) 806-0366
Location: Howard University Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Washington, DC
Start/End Dates: May 31, 2020 – July 10, 2020
Academic Credit: No
SHPEP at Howard University is committed to providing an outstanding academically enriched program that is intended to contribute to a culture of health and promote diversity in health care by strengthening the academic proﬁciency and team-based care approach of underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students interested in pursuing careers in the health sciences. Howard offers the medical, dental, nursing, and pharmacy pathways.
SHPEP scholars will experience the following during their dedicated academically intense six-week experience at Howard University:
- Academic enrichment in basic science courses i.e.; General Chemistry, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry, Physics (transcript and health professions track dependent). Additional courses for all health profession tracks include Healthcare Ethics and Disparities/Health Policy, Communications (Reading and Writing) and a session in Mathematics.
- Professional Attire and Professionalism
- Introduction to Interprofessional Collaborative Core Competencies
- IPE Activities: IPE Day Workshop and Discussions, IPE Team Based Simulation Center Rotations and IPE Clinical Rotations, Clinical Simulation Lab, and William Montague Cobb Research Group
- Weekly town hall meetings
- “Careers in Health Professions Seminar”, where faculty members from the disciplines of Dentistry, Nursing and Allied Health, Pharmacy and Medicine will present and meet with scholars
- Student Alumni & Professional Student Panels
- Clinical rotations based on health professions track.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Training (HIPAA Training)
- Trainings: Cultural Competency and Wellness
- Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)
- US Army Recruitment Center
- Recruiters from local health professions schools
- National Institutes of Health Site Visit
- Will B. Deal SHPEP Financial Literacy and Planning Workshop
- Impact of Civil Rights Laws and Health Care Disparities
Clinical Experience: Multiple state of the art simulation center and clinical shadowing opportunities relevant to Interprofessional Practice and Education (IPE) - team based health care delivery.
Travel Assistance: Howard University will provide ground transportation assistance for those scholars within its region. For those scholars outside the region, travel assistance will be provided for economy bus/ﬂight/rail service and ground transportation to and from station(s). Travel assistance will be provided for start and end date(s) of the program only. LYFT, UBER etc. travel assistance to and from points of departure will be covered not to exceed $50.00. Excess luggage will not be covered.
Stipend: Scholars will receive $600.00 to be paid between second and third week of the program.
Meals: Meal allowance for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week at Howard University Hospital Cafeteria.
Health Insurance: Scholars must provide their own insurance. However limited assistance will be offered by Howard SHPEP via the Student Health Center. Emergency Department coverage/visit will be the sole responsibility of the scholar(s).
Housing: Howard University Dormitories – Air-Conditioned doubles or triple rooms. Lost keys and damage to rooms are solely the responsibility of the scholar(s). All scholars will be billed accordingly.
Social Activities: Various social and cultural activities in the Washington, D.C. area for example; the National Mall, Smithsonian Museums and the local Caribbean and Annual Folk Life festivals, National Institutes of Health (NIH) and much more. Additional activities include but are not limited to Dinner Theatre or Lunch Cruise.