2014 Student Research Poster Session Criteria & Guidelines
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Summer Medical and Dental Education Program National Program (SMDEP) invites you to submit your abstracts and research from your academic or summer experience. As aspiring health professionals and researchers, this poster session is intended for students to gain experience in presentation skills and increase exposure to their scholarly work.
As a kickoff to the SMDEP 25th Anniversary Celebration and Alumni Summit, selected posters will be on display at 25th Anniversary Reception and Poster Session on Friday, December 5, 2014 from 6:00-7:30 pm in Washington, DC.
*A limited amount of travel assistance is available for those who posters have been accepted. SMDEP will cover the cost of an overnight stay in Washington, DC for accepted and confirmed poster session presenters. Please complete and submit the SMDEP ALUMNI SUMMIT TRAVEL APPLICATION FORM if you require assistance.
Author & Presenter Criteria:
- Alumni of the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), SMEP or MMEP
- One poster submission per alum
- Presenter must attend the SMDEP 25th Anniversary Celebration Event and Summit, December 5-6, 2014, Washington, DC. Conference is free to all program alumni. Registration required
- Poster Presentation and Reception will be held on Friday, December 5th from 6:00-7:30pm
Abstract Submission Criteria:
- Abstracts must be submitted by October 31, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include topic, title and clearly stated goals of research, community project, or other scholarly workFor research posters include purpose of the study, methodology, results and conclusion.
- For other poster submissions include the goals, description of program or intervention, target populations, and outcomes.
- Up to 15 presenters will be accepted to present
- Include title and author information (student presenter first)
- Clearly state the hypothesis, methods/processes of study, results and conclusion
- Use graphs, tables, charts and other visual aids for data clarification
- Must fit within an 8’ x 4’ horizontal space
Review and Selection
All submissions will be reviewed by a committee of the SMDEP National Alumni Advisory Board. The committee will review, judge, and select abstracts using the following criteria:
- Purpose or hypothesis is clearly stated
- Creativity and originality
- Clarity of writing and organization of ideas
- Conclusions are based on the data
- Poster layout is well organized
The author will be notified via email of the results of the committee review by November 7, 2014.
Presenter(s) is responsible for all costs travel*, accommodations and shipment of poster and costs associated with posters are the sole responsibility of the presenter. Presenters are responsible for bringing or shipping their own posters and removal of the posters after the presentation. SMDEP will not be responsible for posters left behind.
*SMDEP will cover the cost of an overnight stay in Washington, DC for accepted and confirmed Poster Presentes.
Contact Bridgette Hudson, Alumni Relations and Communications Specialist at 202.828.0953 or email email@example.com.