Summer 2018 application opens in the fall! Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
All students who meet the Summer Health Professions Education Program eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Not have previously participated in the program.
Other factors for consideration include that a student:
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions;
- Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background; and/or
- Has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations.
- Submits a compelling personal statement, diversity essay, and a strong letter of recommendation.
Submit Application Materials
SHPEP applications will only be reviewed by designated program sites once the National Program Office processes the following materials in accordance with the admissions guidelines:
- The online SHPEP Application. An AAMC account is required to access the application. Register for an AAMC account only if you do not already have one.
- One official transcript from every U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution attended sent directly by the institution’s registrar’s office. Please review the Transcript Requirements section for more information.
- One letter of recommendation from a qualified reference. Please review the Recommendation Requirements section for more information.
You can use the optional Application Checklist to ensure that you have completed all of the required steps to apply to SHPEP.
Early Admission vs Regular Admission
Early Admission: Applications must be completed on or before February 1.
Regular Admission: Applications must be received by March 1. The postmark date on mailed application materials must be March 1 or earlier, otherwise they will not be processed.